Subject: RE: Strange crash in 1.3.3
To: 'cgd@netbsd.org' <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/22/1999 09:47:52
cgd@netbsd.org wrote:

> Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no> writes:
> > Jul 22 02:32:48 atlas savecore: reboot after panic: %s: Timed-out
> > command times out again

> Assuming you have the kernel and kernel crash dump image around
> (sounds like savecore ran OK), you can get the dmesg info out of the
> kernel with "dmesg -N kernel_name -M kcore_name" (obviously, replace
> the file names with the appropriate files in /var/crash).

arghh. Nah, /var ran full so the core is incomplete.

> Grepping through the 'dev' sources, it looks like you're probably
> using the aic7xxx (ahc) driver, maybe somebody with a clue about that

Indeed I am. The machine has got 3 AHA2940 controllers. Relevant
portions from dmesg:

ahc0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0
ahc0: interrupting at irq 10
ahc0: aic7860 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 3 SCBs
scsibus0 at ahc0 channel 0: 8 targets
ahc1 at pci0 dev 18 function 0
ahc1: interrupting at irq 11
ahc1: aic7860 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 3 SCBs
scsibus1 at ahc1 channel 0: 8 targets
ahc2 at pci0 dev 20 function 0
ahc2: interrupting at irq 9
ahc2: aic7860 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 3 SCBs
scsibus2 at ahc2 channel 0: 8 targets

BTW, the machine had been up for ~27 days when this happened. I've had
lots of problems getting this machine to run stably, but all have been
software related (various kernel parameters etc.). Except for a disk
going bad every now and then, the hardware hasn't given me many problems
(yet).

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2