Subject: Re: Strange crash in 1.3.3
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/1999 23:31:39
Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no> writes:
> Jul 22 02:32:48 atlas savecore: reboot after panic: %s: Timed-out
> command times out again
>

> This is on NetBSD/i386 1.3.3. Any ideas on what this means and what

That's not quite so strange: what savecore reports as the cause for
the panic is in fact the format string passed to panic(), which
supports printf-like specifiers like the one you saw there...  8-)

Assuming you have the kernel and kernel crash dump image around
(sounds like savecore ran OK), you can get the dmesg info out of the
kernel with "dmesg -N kernel_name -M kcore_name" (obviously, replace
the file names with the appropriate files in /var/crash).

Grepping through the 'dev' sources, it looks like you're probably
using the aic7xxx (ahc) driver, maybe somebody with a clue about that
driver can help you out...  (I'm don't have that clue.  8-)

cgd