Subject: Re: netbooting from a floppy disk bootblock.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/1999 19:46:51
simonb@netbsd.org said:
>  a) Using sys/lib/libsa/nfs.c just plain doesn't work (haven't figured
>     out why yet).  I had tried both the i386 nfs.c and the libsa one
> in
>     earlier attempts to get this working.

You'll need the i386 nfs.c. The mi libsa one has a special entry for
the mount call, which requires to bypass the libsa filesystem selection.
That's not clean, and it causes larger code. The mi code should be
changed of course, but a lot of md dev_net.c files depending on it.

I'm using tftp to load kernels, so I'm not up-to-date wrt nfs
problems. When I've dealt with some other problems, I'll try it.
(But alpha and suns use nfs loaded kernels more often, so I'd assume
that we would have heard if there were big problems.)

[3c905b]
> > The buggy chips have a number ending with -001 on them,
> > newer ones ending in -002 are OK.
>
> Mine's a -004, so I guess that's good :-)

When you boot NetBSD, is the mii phy chip recognized? I've
got serious problems with my -002 card's media handling,
all mii registers are read as 0.
(Have a 905b-FX too, which doesn't work either.)
I'll try to find out some more...

best regards
Matthias