Subject: Re: Locked into control characters with wscons...
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/16/1999 04:20:27
On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> > Does anyone know offhand if Control-N introduces an ansi escape
> > sequence, multi-byte characters, or something like that?
>
> Control-N is SHIFT-OUT (SO).
>
> If a problem is caused by SO, then 'echo Control-O' might be able to
> fix the problem.
> Control-O is SHIFT-IN (SI).

That explains the funny characters. I had to first "stty discard ''" in
order to "mail" a Control-O in a message--by default it just discards the
line--but then it became obvious that SO made the funny characters display
in pine, and SI made them go away.

Next question: how is it that a Control-N gets into the subject of a
message? Is the sending program really trying to do something else, or is
the transport eating the Contol-O's but not the Control-N's?