Subject: Re: Standard serial mouse at com0
To: Mike Sienicki <mike@cpdist.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/1999 11:06:38
mike@cpdist.com (Mike Sienicki) writes:
> Dear Port-i386,
>
> What is the correct way of configuring a new kernel (I know how to build a
> new kernel) and XF86Config so that a standard two button serial mouse
> connected to the $03f8/irq4 port (com0) will work in X-11.

Well, you need to make sure you have a serial device in the kernel,
but they are there standard.

> When I attempt
> to "startx" it appears to initialize the video stuff and fonts ok, but,
> then complains something about "mouse (no file or directory)".

You probably told the XF86Config that there was a /dev/mouse. Well,
there *isn't* a /dev/mouse. You have a mouse attached to a serial
line, not a special mouse device. If you're really on serial port 0,
tell it /dev/tty00

Using the "XF86Setup" package helps a lot with this sort of thing, btw.
It would have automated most of your X configuration work.

Perry