Subject: Re: Standard serial mouse at com0
To: Mike Sienicki <mike@cpdist.com>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/1999 15:40:33

> What is the correct way of configuring a new kernel (I know how to build a
> new kernel) and XF86Config so that a standard two button serial mouse
> connected to the $03f8/irq4 port (com0) will work in X-11.  When I attempt
> to "startx" it appears to initialize the video stuff and fonts ok, but,
> then complains something about "mouse (no file or directory)". I am new to
> NetBSD on the i386 so help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to find
> something on this in FAQ's and in the older mailing lists, but, I'm too
> confused.  8^(

Shouldn'y be anything to do with the kernel.  Could it be that the X server
is trying to open /dev/mouse (and failing)?  A symbolic link to /dev/tty00
will likely fix this.

PS.  It's because you're using a machine with all it's bits backward ;-)
--
          NetBSD - the most widely ported operating system available