Subject: nca0 conflict with ix* at 0x360?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/1999 00:05:37
  I configured an ix card for address 0x360, and tried to boot a
generic kernel (except it looked for ix1 at 0x360 in addition to
ix0 at 0x300).  The ix apparently triggered the nca0 (NCR
53c80) probe for 0x360, which resulted in the kernel timing out
a whole lot, considering the ix doesn't make a very good SCSI
bus...  :)

  When the kernel got to the ix1 probe, it failed, because it
figured 360 was already in use by the bogus nca0.

  Anyway, is such a false hit a bug, or just one more reason for
removing unneeded stuff in your config?  I would have expected
the nca0 probe to not match so falsely, but then again, autoconf
is one very magic, very black box to me!

  TIA

  Brian