Subject: Re: FW: NE2000 driver
To: Murray Armfield <murray@gem.com.au>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/1999 02:04:32
On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 04:15:05PM +1000, Murray Armfield wrote:
> Thanks,
> 		That gives me good reason to suspect NT network integration
> with NetBSD. There is a reasonable speed difference between the two systems.
> I will look into it and report back at a later date.
> 	With the comment on Windows drivers, do you mean the network
> settings that Windows detects through the card of the network, or windows
> detection of the device itself.
> 	Familiar with switches, routers and bridges. Don't think poor hub is
> to blame. Also the hubs at my work are full-duplex as that's the network
> configuration picked up by my network card. Just finished looking through a

It's entirely possible for your card to pick wrong, particularly when the
device on the other end doesn't support Nway autonegotiation at all, which
most (all?) 10baseT hubs won't.

If it's full-duplex, it's not a hub.  It's as simple as that.  As Jonathan
pointed out, a hub is a dumb repeater with N taps.  It does *not* create
a new CSMA collision domain at each port as a switch does.