Subject: Re: FW: NE2000 driver
To: Murray Armfield <murray@gem.com.au>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/1999 02:01:49
On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 03:38:16PM +1000, Murray Armfield wrote:
> Why then do I notice better behaviour with EXACTLY the same equipment ?

Because you're causing a massive number of collisions by running the card
in full-duplex mode when it is connected to a half-duplex network!

> In fact nothing has changed except booting to a different disk and OS.

If you also have the card set to full-duplex under NT, then either the
NT driver is refusing to do it when you tell it to, or because of some
oddity of its transmit path logic you're just not losing as badly as you
deserve to.

> PS: As an electronic/electrical engineer, I find it very hard to believe
> hubs are half-duplex.

As an art school alumnus, let me inform you that Ethernet hubs *are*
half-duplex, whether you're an electrical engineer or not.

Thor