Subject: RE: FW: NE2000 driver
To: Murray Armfield <murray@gem.com.au>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/02/1999 02:06:40
On Jul 2,  4:15pm, Murray Armfield wrote:
}
} 		That gives me good reason to suspect NT network integration
} with NetBSD. There is a reasonable speed difference between the two systems.

     It gives you no such thing.

} 	Familiar with switches, routers and bridges. Don't think poor hub is

     I doubt it, considering the lack of knowledge that you've
displayed about the most basic piece of network equipment (i.e. a
hub).

} to blame. Also the hubs at my work are full-duplex as that's the network

     No, they aren't.  Anything that can do full-duplex is not a hub by
definition.

} configuration picked up by my network card. Just finished looking through a
} manual for an Intel hub but it didn't explicitly say one way or the other.

     Because there is no need.  Hubs are half-duplex devices by
definition.

} Switches can be configured one way or the other. Bearing this in mind both

     Yes.

} types of hub should be available but I haven't encountered a half-duplex

     No.  There is a world of difference between a hub and a switch.
For starters, a hub is a passive device and a switch is an active
device.

}-- End of excerpt from Murray Armfield