Subject: Re: FW: NE2000 driver
To: Murray Armfield <murray@gem.com.au>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/02/1999 08:00:53
> Why then do I notice better behaviour with EXACTLY the same equipment ?
> In fact nothing has changed except booting to a different disk and OS.

- In my experience, machines with fast networking stack are more
influenced by half/full-duplex misconfiguration than slower machines.
I get 5 KB/s TCP from very fast SGI server when I set the opposite mode
on its Fast Ethernet interface.
- Windows driver for the card can ignore user settings if they seem wrong
  to it.

> PS: As an electronic/electrical engineer, I find it very hard to believe
> hubs are half-duplex.

They create shared medium. Ethernet "hub" with isolated ports is normally
called switch or bridge.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
Ustav vypocetni techniky Masarykovy univerzity, Brno