Subject: Re: LINUX compatibility (related to Quake2 under NetBSD)
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1999 07:08:45
>[..]
>> What I did to set up LINUX-compatibility:
>>
>> I enabled COMPAT_LINUX and EXEC_AOUT32 and built a new kernel.
>>
>> I installed the two LINUX-compat packages in pkgsrc, linux_SuSE and
>> linux_lib.  Versions 5.3 and 2.4, respectively.  (I also added the symlink
>> from /emul -=> /usr/pkg/emul.)
>
>This may be your problem.  I am using the 'suse_linux' packages, not the
>older linux_* packages.

This gives different error messages.

I assumed that the suse_* stuff was all a superset of the linux_* stuff,
so I wiped linux_* and installed suse_*.  Unfortunately, suse_* doesn't
seem to have an ldconfig, nor a bash, for LINUX.  Also, when I was in
/emul/linux/usr/etc/, I mistakenly thought that I was in /emul/linux/etc/,
and created an ld.so.conf, then foolishly moved it to /emul/linux/etc.  I
assume that since ldconfig makes a .cache file, the actual .conf doesn't
matter?

Quake2 now complains:

 /~~~ quake2

/emul/linux/usr/local/games/quake2: ./quake2
couldn't exec default.cfg
couldn't exec config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11025
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx
/emul/linux/usr/local/games/quake2:

 \___ quake2

This seems to do better than before, but I have no idea where to get
pis/colormap.pcx---is it a standard LINUX file of some sort?  It certainly
does not exist under the quake2 directory, nor anywhere in the /emul/linux
diretory.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu