Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.4: strange system load reports
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/15/1999 16:40:42
der Mouse  <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:
> I've seen this sort of behavior often enough myself, and it's not
> hardware-specific.  Try the following program as an example.

What you've arranged is for the process to be awakened at every clock
tick.

That means that it's always ready to be run when the load average
calculator runs and so, not surprisingly, gets counted as runnable and
part of the system load.

This, and related issues, are known issues with the standard load
average calculation.  There've even been papers published on (quite)