Subject: Re: Problem with 1.4 install floppy and panic in union filesystem
To: None <bsieker@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/10/1999 13:17:36
Bernd Sieker <bsieker@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:
> I re-downloaded the image and doublel checked the floppies, just to avoid
> any other sources of problems.
>
> After the above message it says "floating point exception". Note that this
> happened on both Cyrix 486 with 1.3.2 installed and on Celeron with 1.4_BETA
> installed.

Ah.

Does this Cyrix have an FPU?

> This even happens after completely restoring the old etc. The /sbin/init left
> on my disk is about 1MB in size, the regular init is only some 170k.
>
> Taking a close look, the file called /sbin/init on my / partition after
> the failed installation _is_ sysinst. Now how could that happen?
>
> What's going wrong here?

All the executable files on the ramdisk boot image are hard linked to
each other -- its the way we avoid needing shared libs and manage to
get everything to fit. Sysinst is probably copying these files to the
hard drive. It is a matter of debate whether it should be doing this
at all.

Perry