Subject: Re: SMC8216C - 10BaseT Problem Still Unresolved
To: Graham Jenkins <c714553@vus415.telstra.com.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/30/1999 08:09:06
On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:22:11 +1000
 c714553@vus415.telstra.com.au (Graham Jenkins) wrote:

 > > .. Can you please try my previous suggestion of using "aui" (or
 > > "10base5") to configure the card to UTP?  Then please tell me how reliable
 > > or unreliable it is.
 >
 > Thanks for your suggestion, Jason. I have changed '/etc/ifconfig.we1'
 > on both my 1.3.3 and my 1.4_BETA machines so that it contains
 > only: media 10bas5/AUI  .. then rebooted both machines.

If you have the DOS utility for configuring those cards, you can set their
defaults, as well.

I suppose it might be a nice idea to add support for configuring the
default media via "flags" in the kernel config file.

 > So far they have been up for an hour and a half without trauma.  I suspect
 > that the 1.4_BETA one may be OK - and if that suspicion is confirmed, I can
 > live with it, since 1.4.? is only a couple of weeks off.  Otherwise I may
 > have to try OpenBSD - does anyone have any experience in that regard ?

The OpenBSD driver is either: (a) the same as the NetBSD driver, or (b) an
older version.