Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4 Beta lock up
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dr. Lex Wennmacher <wennmach@geo.Uni-Koeln.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/28/1999 14:16:15
On Apr 28,  7:55am, D'Arcy"J.M." Cain wrote:
> Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4 Beta lock up
> Thus spake [P_llen]
> > I've had two lock up's since I installed 1.4 BETA. Before that my uptime
> > was 21 days before I shutdown'ed and upgraded.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced lock ups? Or am I just having bad luck?
> >
> > Ah, running X of course.
>
> I have had a few too.  Interestingly, some friends running FreeBSD have
> also had a few lockups recently.  We were also running X.

I had lockups too - with NetBSD-1.3.3/i386. IMO the culprit is the X server
(XF86_SVGA notably, C&T65540 rev. 2).  It seems that heavy scrolling in an
xterm locks the machine. This happened both on XFree86 Version 3.3.3 and on
3.3.3.1.

Could you simply run a few
% ls -lagoR /
in an xterm and see if that provokes the lockup.

I filed a bug report to XFree86 a month ago. No respose yet.

--Lex

--
Dr. Alexandre Wennmacher
Institut fuer Geophysik und Meteorologie         wennmach@geo.Uni-Koeln.DE