Subject: Re: 256 MB RAM?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/1999 11:50:47
explorer@flame.org (Michael Graff) writes:
> My pentium machine with 128M ram seems to log it.
> 	NMI port 61 a0, port 70 ff
> It would be nice to have it do the right thing, that is, not only log
> it but try to correct it if it can be corrected (ECC) or die if it
> cannot (parity).

SunOS 4.x had an interesting approach to parity errors.  1) If the
page was unmodified and backed by some disk it would just get it from
disk.  2) If it was uncorrectable it would kill only that process.

I'm not sure 2) was all that much of a wonderful idea since a system
running on auto-pilot could merrily run with some vital daemon dead.
A reboot might actually be a better no-brainer.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/