Subject: Re: 256 MB RAM?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/1999 14:27:15
On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 11:09:10AM -0700, Michael Graff wrote:
> Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> writes:
>
> > What does NetBSD do in that situation?  Dump core and reboot?
>
> My pentium machine with 128M ram seems to log it.
>
> 	NMI port 61 a0, port 70 ff
>
> It would be nice to have it do the right thing, that is, not only log
> it but try to correct it if it can be corrected (ECC) or die if it
> cannot (parity).

You should only get the NMI if it *couldn't* correct the error.  The
operating system doesn't get to "try to correct it" -- if the chipset's
ECC could correct it, it would have.  If it's telling you it couldn't,
you Just Lose... and you should find a new memory vendor, or stop rubbing
your shoes on the carpet while you build machines. ;-)