Subject: Another IDE disk that doesn't probe any more
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, bouyer@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/1999 21:19:44
I just tried to install 1.4_ALPHA on a 2.5" IBM UDMA IDE disk which was
previously happily running 1.3H in a Shark.

The machine I'm trying to install on has a motherboard with Intel TX
chipset, and has been running fine with a 6G Seagate Medallist.  I
moved the Seagate to the secondary IDE channel, put the IBM drive on
the primary channel, made sure both were on in the BIOS, made sure the
BIOS could see both disks -- it can -- and booted the install floppy.

The install floppy pauses for a long time after printing out the "pciide0:0:
UDMA capable" message and then prints out that it found no drives and is
disabling channel 0.  It then finds the Seagate drive on channel 1 just fine
and attaches it as wd0.

The IBM drive *is* jumpered as "master" and the BIOS finds it and correclty
determines its size (5.2GB) and its transfer modes (PIO4, UDMA2).  But
NetBSD just doesn't see it at all; if I put the Seagate on that channel
it still probes and attaches fine.

Any ideas?  What can I do to help debug?

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"