Subject: Re: Amusing tidbit about Windows/NT...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1999 16:30:05
Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org> writes:
> People used to express angst pretty frequently about how lame it is
> that NetBSD couldn't automatically detect the blank irq and I/O spaces
> that exist on some laptops - e.g., the NEC Versa 6030X.  The blank
> spaces exist because some irq lines are reserved for built-in devices
> that we usually disable.

I've been thinking, BTW, that we might want to start building quirk
tables for various laptops to deal with this. Even if said tables
couldn't actually be used automatically by ordinary kernels
(determining automatically what make and model your machine is is Very
Hard), they could at least be used by sysinst with user intervention,
and could help users with their configurations...

Perry