Subject: Success with Compaq Deskpro XL 566 (AMD AM79C974)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Harrenstien <klh@us.oracle.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/1999 12:07:18
After doing a complete install of all the NetBSD 1.3K binary sets I'm
happy to report that everything has worked perfectly so far.  Both the
PC-Net and PC-SCSI parts of the chip, as well as the QVision 2000
graphics card, were recognized and supported right out of the box.
Congratulations and thanks!

My only remaining problem, and I hesitate to bring this up here because
(apart from revealing more of my ignorance) I'm not sure whether it's
Deskpro-specific or not, is getting the BIOS to boot directly from the
hard drive -- it complains about an invalid partition table.  I
configured it at install time to be NetBSD-only and the NetBSD "fdisk"
reports 3 empty partitions with the 4th actively used for NetBSD
(entire disk except for the first track), with a valid BIOS geometry...
and I can boot fine if I start from the install floppy and redirect it
to "sd0a:netbsd"...  but the Deskpro BIOS doesn't like it.  And of
course that would be the one little piece of opaque, non-open code
remaining.

I learned previously that it's a Good Idea to pre-format the Master
Boot Record for installation to go smoothly, but thought that if I was
wiping everything out to use a NetBSD-only disk I could just let NetBSD
write out a fresh MBR, avoiding all the problems of bogus values from a
bogus MBR.  More importantly, even apart from the question of principle
(ie avoiding Microsoft completely) it's sometimes difficult to find a
suitable copy of MS-DOS and FDISK.

I re-checked the INSTALL doc and the FAQ and this issue didn't seem to
be directly addressed; perhaps it's assumed that everyone naturally has
MS-DOS to begin with.  Anyway, I'm going to start grovelling around and
see if there's anything in the i386 BSD sources that will help me figure out
how to patch the MBR to fake out this @#$%*!& BIOS without wiping out
my whole installation.  Unless someone tells me I'm re-inventing the
wheel I'll send another message after figuring it out.

--Ken