Subject: Re: crash on 1.3.2: panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1999 21:04:59
On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 12:24:28PM +0200, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:
> I noticed one of our servers has rebooted and found this in
> /var/log/messages:
>

> Mar 27 20:31:42 lyons savecore: reboot after panic: malloc: out of space
> in kmem_map
> Mar 27 20:31:42 lyons savecore: /var/crash/bounds: No such file or
> directory
> Mar 27 20:31:42 lyons savecore: writing core to /var/crash/netbsd.0.core
> Mar 27 20:33:15 lyons savecore: writing kernel to /var/crash/netbsd.0
>

> What does this panic mean? How can I fix it?

Some zones used for memory management have a fixed size, which means the
physical memory the kernel can use for its internal malloc has a upper bound.
>From the options(4) amn page:

     options NKMEMCLUSTERS=value
     Size of kernel VM map kmem_map, in CLBYTES-sized chunks (the VM page
     size; this value may be read from the sysctl(8) variable hw.pagesize ).
     This VM map is used to map the kernel malloc arena.  See
     /usr/include/machine/param.h for the default value, which is port specif­
     ic.  Increase this value if you get ``out of space in kmem_map'' panics.

Default value is 1536, I think with the amount of RAM you have you can
bump it to 8192 without troubles.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>