Subject: Re: panic: pmap_zero_page: lock botch
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/27/1999 18:21:05
On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 02:49:42PM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> I experimented with this a bit this morning and I couldn't get it to happen.
> it's most likely recursion due to interrupts like jason said.
> can you get a backtrace?  we really should find out how this is happening.

Here is a sample stack trace. I repeated the panic several times, the
addresses varied, but it always looked the same:
pmap_zero_page(4910000,fe012f5c,f01b7774,f0391740,fdfdd24d4) + 0x1e
uvm_pagezero(f0391740) + 0x12
uvm_fault(fdfd24d4,68000,0,3,0) + 0xe24
trap() +0x437
trap (number 6)

I also got another panic and a core dump from make. I think all these can
be related to the same problem.
Jason's patche solved the problem for me.
Just in cases it matters: I have 2 disks on my system: IDE for / and /usr,
SCSI for /home (where my source tree lives). Using only one disk, or 2 disks
on the same controller may serialize interrupts enouth to avoid the problem.

Let me know if you want more infos. I can also get a core dump really ealily.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>