Subject: Re: Looking for docs on wscons configuration
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/1999 17:51:57
Several of you asked that post my results regarding these issues.
Most of the information came from Havard and I greatly appreciated
his assistance.

On 19 Mar 1999 22:57:14 GMT, Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org> wrote:
>>> I am trying to set up NetBSD-current for wscons support. Can anyone
>>> provide some pointers on how it is supposed to be done? Three main
>>> things I need:
>>>
>>> 1) ctrl/capslock swap
>>> 3) proper way to add virtual terminals

I picked up :
  rc
  rc.conf
  rc.wscons
  wscons.conf
from
   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/etc/
and merged my changes into rc.conf and turned on wscons=YES
at the bottom of the new rc.conf.

In wscons.conf, I specified the screens I wanted, and in /etc/ttys,
I set up corresponding gettys as in:
 ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure

Then I added:
 wsconsctl -w encoding=us.swapctrlcaps
to my rc.local

I made sure the device nodes were created:
kingu# ls -l /dev/ttyE*
crw-------  1 kent  tty    47,   0 Mar 24 11:33 /dev/ttyE0
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   1 Mar 24 11:02 /dev/ttyE1
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   2 Mar 24 11:02 /dev/ttyE2
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   3 Mar 24 11:02 /dev/ttyE3
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   4 Mar 24 11:02 /dev/ttyE4
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   5 Mar 23 16:07 /dev/ttyE5
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   6 Mar 23 16:13 /dev/ttyE6
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   7 Mar 18 16:49 /dev/ttyE7
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47, 255 Mar 18 16:49 /dev/ttyEcfg

All wscons terminals now swap ctrl/capslock.
I haven't figured out how to get XFree86 to swap them yet though
as XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps" doesn't appear to work.

Does anyone know what XkbModel to use for wscons with XFree86?

>>> 2) <wsmouse> support for a Logitech MouseMan PS/2 mouse

I set :
>>pms*            at pckbc?               # PS/2 mouse for wsmouse
>>wsmouse*        at pms?
in my kernel config and built a new kernel. Works now.

Thanks much!