Subject: Re: (ELF?)
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/1999 17:55:13
christos@zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas) writes:

> >*) the _start/__start ld lossage - was this fixed?
>
> I have not seen that one.

# echo 'main(){}' > x.c
# gcc -c x.c
# ld /usr/lib/crt0.o /usr/lib/crtbegin.o x.o /usr/lib/crtend.o -lgcc -lc -lgcc
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 08048380

crt0.o has a __start, changing _start to __start in ld.new/eelf_i386.c
made the warning go away. It doesn't happen when linking with gcc,
since it explicitly sets -e __start.

I think there was some talk about this.

> You'll still need ld.so in /usr/libexec

Sure, but it was there before I upgraded, and I don't think it will go
away by itself. :-)

> why don't you recompile your shell?

That's of course the long term plan, but it will take some time for
all applications. Especially for non-source apps.

/Johan