Subject: multiport serial revisited
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/1999 00:13:23
Well, some of you may remember my struggles with this multiport serial card.

I'm now running -current (today's sup, I think).  I have NetBSD-1.3K.  It
mostly works.

I have a 4-port serial card.  The IO ports are jumpered for COM3-COM6, and
all 4 ports are set for IRQ 9.

For those coming in late, this is an ISA card.  I was trying it with 1.3.3,
but it would hang the system hard.  I believe this was a mechanical problem;
the board I was using was missing a capacitor.  :(

Anyway, now, the result I get is that I can tip to/from a port, at 9600 baud.
It works.  I type on my PDA, and get characters on the NetBSD box.  I type
on the NetBSD box, and get characters on my PDA.

If I don't run anything, the port is "dead" - the PDA types, and nothing
happens.

If I run getty, ala
tty02   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure local rtscts softcar
it takes a few seconds... and then I start getting data.

Specifically, I get echo-back on the PDA.  If I type on the PDA, I get data
back on the PDA.

Anything obvious different between 'getty' and 'tip' that should cause this?

I'm planning to get this working with at least one port, on at least one open
IRQ, before I try to get the whole card working.  I'm not sure how well NetBSD
copes with sharing IRQ's.  I'm pretty sure this isn't a "multiport com card",
in the sense of the ast driver, because it has separate I/O port and IRQ
jumpers for each port.

-s