Subject: Re: RealAudio G2 server?
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/1999 12:42:48
On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 06:37:49PM +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Laine Stump wrote:
>
> > Has anyone been successful at running the RealAudio G2 server FreeBSD
> > version on NetBSD?
>
> Did you notice that there is now also a streaming mp3 protocol? See
> http://www.shoutcast.com. Mp3 is a publicly-known format, unlike
> "Real"Audio, and better quality too.

To react like RealAudio does to changing network conditions, I'd think
it would need to use variable bit rate encoding (and multiple copies
of the encoded files on the server side?)  VBR isn't part of the MP3
standard and though it seems Cool I haven't yet found a player that
handles it without at least occasionally screwing up.  Have you?

Thor