Subject: Re: changes?
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/10/1999 18:35:41
>> ntp_timer.c:88: storage size of `itimer' isn't known
>> ntp_timer.c:88: warning: unused variable `itimer'
>>
>> The man page for getitimer(2) seems to indicate this would be defined in
>> <sys/time.h>.  the thing is I don't have an old NetBSD <sys/time.h> to
>> do a comparison, and the ftp site seems to indicate these sources are
>> offline somewhere.
>
>???
>
>getitimer is declared in sys/sys/time.h in -current. It is declared as:
>int  getitimer __P((int, struct itimerval *));
>and the delcaration hasn't changed since version 1.1 of the file (from
>21-Mar-93).

the prototype is there and it's fine.  the problem is the definition
of struct itimerspec is missing.  there's only a forward declaration
for it in /usr/include/time.h.

>What is the declaration of the variable itimer look like? Also, as you get
>a variable-unused error, chances are that this variable, and the includes
>to use it, are supposed to be within #ifdef's, and the variable's
>declaration leaked out.

the important message here is "storage size of `itimer' isn't known",
which means you will, of course, get a "variable not used" message
since you can't possibly use it.

>sys/sys/time.h also is on the ftp server, and the 1.3 source seems to be
>there too. Were you looking at ftp.netbsd.org, or a mirror. Mirrors
>occasionally drop things to conserve space.

i had the same problem with 1.3.3 stuff i snarfed directly from
ftp.netbsd.org.  i worked around it directly editing the config.h that
configure generated to use a different code path.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|