Subject: Re: sb0 and 1.3.2
To: None <rh@vip.at>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/08/1999 08:37:09
At 01:54 PM 3/8/99 +0000, Rene Hexel wrote:
>Dave Burgess wrote:
>
>> The 'not configured' part isn't the problem - it's a red herring.  The fact
>> that it reported the sound card means that the device was probed and
>> attached.
>
>  I'm afraid, I have to disappoint you here.  With PnP devices (on
>isapnp/pci/pcmcia ...) this simply means that a PnP device was
>identified.  'not configured' in this case means that no driver was
>configured to actually make use of the identified device (in most cases
>because of a missing driver).

There still must be a more descriptive probe message.  I get 'not
configured' for PnP devices all the time, and they work just fine.  If the
device needs a drive and it doesn't work, we should differentiate (somehow)
between 'not configured but will work OK' and 'not configured and you're
hosed'.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom