Subject: Re: RFC: mkflop 2.3 - boot media maker
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/1999 17:31:24
[mkflop utility]

Port-i386 really isnt the apporpriate place ot discuss this.  i dont
know if we have a tech-install list, so I've cc'ed this to
current-users as the next-best.  Tech-userlevel, maybe?

But several other ports use the existing, vnd+crunch -based machinery
and tools for creating installation images. Some of these ports (eg,
pmax, shark?) often dont have floppies.  Building network-bootable
kernels containing ramdisk images, ala the "SSTO" design, is a hard
requirement.  Can mkflop handle that?

Having said that: there are other good reasons to pass multiple files
into the crunch utilities. When I tried cleaning up the existing
distrib/ code, to create port-specific and "mi sysinst" lists (both to
aid porting to new platforms and to reduce maintenance), I found I
really, really wanted to feed multiple input lists into the crunch* utils.

So you'd have my support for adding that.