Subject: Re: Q: file systems & sizes
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/1999 10:37:46
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> typed:
:VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com> writes:
:> What kind of partition sizes and schemes are people using?
:Here's my typical server setup:
:/	512M
:swap	513M (1M larger than memory I expect to ever add, I'm strange)
:/usr	1G to 1.5G
:/var	1G to 2G

This is my usage on i386 architecture.  Other archs are probably smaller.
Another thing to consider is if you're going to be doing backups with,
say, dump/restore whereby dump backups the whole filesystem (mount).
You also may want /usr/tmp and /var/tmp to be different from /tmp - as
commonly information in /tmp is not preserved across boots but the
others are.  I seem to remember at one stage I had to do something
to get gcc to use /tmp (rather than /var/tmp) as its temporary storage
(so my mfs /tmp is like gcc -pipe) but I don't know if you still need to.

/	100MB (I use about 20MB - has kernel & /etc, /bin, /sbin, /dev)
swap	lots
/usr	1GB   (I use about 500MB with X and some packages but have /usr/src
	       + /usr/pkgsrc (now about 420MB) on a separate partition)
/var	200MB (Will you have lots of logs? is email going through here?)
/tmp	mfs (currently set to half my RAM)

Also, I don't do savecore's - downtime on some machines for writing out,
say, half a gig twice (once to swap and once onto harddrive) is more than
I'm willing.  Also, your first swap partition should be larger (by a
couple of MB at least) than your RAM (actual and expected).

Extras - system dependant (of course, where the actual mount points are
is quite system admin dependant):
/home	: other users?
/cache	: proxy caching?
/ftp	: FTP serving?
/news	: got some free gigs and lots of cheap, spare bandwidth?  And if
	  you can offer me some..... :-)

Isn't there a *BSD FAQ around with this?  At one time, Dave Burgess had
a FAQ floating around.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : (Australia) 0412 162 441