Subject: Re: PCI Host and ISA bridge not configured with 1.3.2
To: None <tabs@blader.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/1999 18:21:43
Tobias Seiler <tobias.seiler@privat.kkf.net> writes:
> so here it is, my dmesg output with some comments maybe someone has some
> ideas.
> The machine is working so far, but the sound card is not working.

> Acer Labs product 0x1531 (host bridge, revision 0xb3) at pci0 dev 0 function 0
> not configured
> Acer Labs product 0x1533 (ISA bridge, revision 0xb4) at pci0 dev 2 function 0
> not configured
>
> Well, this two lines above are looking a little bit strange  I think. Why are
> those two bridges are stated as not configured ? And what to do about that
> issue ?

	"Not configured" means that the kernel has found them but
doesn't have any particular idea what to do with them. For devices
that the kernel generally doesn't need to touch, it's not an
issue. The kernel can find and attach some PCI host and ISA bridges,
but it's more cosmetic than useful.

> Cirrus Logic product 0x00bc (VGA display, revision 0x23) at pci0 dev 3
> function 0 not configured
>
> Ok, this one will be configured by the X Server later, or ?

	Yup. The kernel in 1.3.2 doesn't directly attach anything to
the VGA card in particular.

> isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: read port 0x203
> isapnp0: <PnP Sound Chip, @@@1001, , > port 0x220/16 irq 5 drq 1,0 not
> configured
> isapnp0: <PnP Sound Chip, @H@1001, , > port 0x388/8 not configured
> isapnp0: <PnP Sound Chip, @P@1001, , > port 0x200/8 not configured
> isapnp0: <PnP Sound Chip, @X@1001, , > port 0x330/2 irq 9 not configured
>
> This is what makes me  a little bit nervous. Whats going on there ? Might be a
> problem with the PnP stuff ?
> The card has an ALi 100+ chipset and is not the best one but cheap.

	This does look pretty suspicious. Since the second field
displayed (the @@@1001 here) is pretty much read off the card, that
does look pretty suspicious. I've not seen '@' characters in that
string before, so it could indicate something wrong, or just an
excessively cheezy manufacturer. If you want sound to work, it's
pretty easy to add the ID strings to src/sys/dev/isapnp/isapnpdevs and
rebuild a kernel that knows about it; chances are good that the
@@@1001 is a soundblaster-compatible audio device; the rest are likely
the FM synth, joystick, and something else, but the first is all
you'll need for plain audio.

	- Nathan