Subject: Re: Crashes in 1.3.3 indicate faulty hardware?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/21/1999 21:58:26
On 21.02.99, 14:47:01, Dave Burgess wrote:

> >On Jan 27, Bernd Sieker wrote
> >>
> >> vm_fault(0xf02a6000, f09b5000, 3, 0) -> 1
> >> fatal page fault in supervisor mode
> >> trap type 6 code 2 eip f0193837 cs 8 eflags 10206 cr2 f09b51fc cpl 0
> >> panic: trap
> >>

> I used to get this problem on my machine a few times a week.  It went away
> when I switched from a single DIMM to a pair of DIMMs.  I don't know why.
> I was originally going to just swap the DIMMs, but I could afford it and
> the problem went away....

At this moment I have a single 128 MB-DIMM, and cannot afford a
second.

On my computer this problem appeared with two SIMMs (66 MHz) as well
as with one PC-100 DIMM at 100 MHz (having removed the SIMMs). I have
a very strange and unknown main board (Shing Yunn Technologies) but
have ordered a new board (Tyan S1590S), mainly because for my old one
I cannot get a BIOS upgrade to support AMD K6-III (to be officially
presented this monday) properly.

Hopefully the problem will go away.

--
Bernd Sieker