Subject: Re: PCMCIA modem causes lockup
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/13/1999 11:09:58
In message <19990212220617.A2617@pyy.jmp.fi>  Jukka Marin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 08:43:52PM +0100, Stefan Grefen wrote:
> > I gues you have a PCI/cardbus bridge. AFAIK it doesn't turn on
> > VPP to 5V automaticly like the PCIC chip does.
> > If the card uses both as VCC the card is 'half' powered.
> > This is a problem with scandisk's (flash memory) too.
>
> Do you mean SanDisk compact FLASH cards, perhaps?  They don't have
> any Vpp inputs at all.  All they need is +5V (or +3.3V) to the two
> Vcc pins (13 and 38 in the Compact FLASH connector).

They do have them, and I found somehwere (I think the Mindshare
CardBus book) that all the old pcic chips turned on VPP to VCC,
even if not requested. You only need a little lazy routing on
the card (or intentional load-sharing) to run into this trap.

> When I insert a SanDisk card to my laptop, the PCMCIA controller
> reports that "power is not ON" to the card, even though every control
> bit is in the correct state.  Haven't had the time to do more debugging
> for a few days..

Current of a few weeks ago just hung on my Compaq (TI cardbus bridge).

I guess I have to try again. Maybe the card reports it's 3.3 V card
and the chip prevents the 5V power on.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center