Subject: Re: PCMCIA modem causes lockup
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/12/1999 20:43:52
In message <19990211122138.A13739@beast.boogers.sf.ca.us>  Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> I just picked up a "Viking PC Card Modem 56k" because I'm in Virginia
> on business, and it was the only PCMCIA modem I could find which doesn't
> _seem_ to be a winmodem.  (It claims to have mac support as well, which
> would seem to support that notion)
>
> However, it locks the machine (an IBM Thinkpad 600 running -current
> as of a few weeks ago) on first access, and sometimes on probe.

I gues you have a PCI/cardbus bridge. AFAIK it doesn't turn on
VPP to 5V automaticly like the PCIC chip does.
If the card uses both as VCC the card is 'half' powered.
This is a problem with scandisk's (flash memory) too.
It's on my list of things todo, as my COMPAQ laptop has it too.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center