Subject: Re: df and du out of sync
To: James Webster <James3838@tsi-net.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1999 11:41:32
> I've noticed that when I keep my system (1.3.2) up for long periods of
> times, the number of blocks listed in use by df and du differ by a large
> margin.  This is especially true on my log file partition.  Is this a known
> issue, and which is reporting the correct amount?

This sounds like there are files which are open by some process but
which have been deleted.

You mention that this happens a lot on your log file partition.

Are you running cronjobs to periodically rotate log files written by
long-running daemons?  The usual approach here (used by
syslog/newsyslog, for instance) is for the script to send a signal to
the daemon writing to the logs to get it to close & reopen the files.

					- Bill