Subject: Re: partition types...
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet@graffiti.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/09/1999 11:41:30
>  I heard that you could have more than 4 partitions in an
>extended partition.  It appears that each extended partition can
>hold one partition, and a chain to another extended partition.

i'm not sure about that, since the extended partition table is (i
thought) laid out more or less exactly the same way as the main
partition table.

>  I like that "in theory" quote above.  DOS et al are limited to
>24, since they use letters of the alphabet, but it appears that
>a Real Operating System really could keep chaining.  At 6
>usable BSD partitions each, one could theoretically easily have
>over 200 partitions per disk.

however...if we are allowed to have extended partitions within
extended partitions, there ought to be no limit except for (a) disk
space or (b) insanity.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|