Subject: Re: JDK1.1.6
To: Jochen Schmidt <Kid_Stealth@t-online.de>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/1999 23:06:54
>I'm using NetBSD 1.3.2(i386)
>I've tried to install the JDK1.1.6(i386) package and use it with libvrml97
>and/or VRwave0.9.
>I noticed that there are not all includefiles in the package!

Unless you've got a corrupt archive, you should have everything that is
normally present in a JDK distribution - since it is simply built using
Sun's makefiles.

I can't say which is the case - I'm running a locally built 1.1.6
not the one from pkgsrc.

>I'have copied te include-files of a linux-JDK1.1.6 to /usr/pkg/java/include but

That _should_ be safe but I wouldn't bet my life on it.  It should
certainly not be necessary.  What was missing?

>After starting xmlookat (the vrml browser) I've got an error that the
>libjava.so is not available, so I've added /usr/pkg/java/lib/i386/green_threads
>to ld.so.conf, started ldconfig and tried it:

I'm not familiar with xmlookat, is it a java thing that uses some
native methods, or a C thing that wants to embed the JVM in it?
I seem to recal seeing bug reports about the later.

In anycase using a wrapper such as java/bin/java which sets
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is probably safer than having the entire system
looking in lib/i386/green_threads.

--sjg