Subject: Re: Implementation of HD Detection
To: Lukas Ruf <lpruf@stud.ee.ethz.ch>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/1999 10:13:53
On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 02:31:57PM +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> I posted 2 Messages for Installation onto a Laptop.
>
> I would appreciate, if anyone out there could give me a hint, where I
> can find the routines used in sysinstall/boot floppy for HD detection to
> hack the code into this place, or,  if already another person is
> developing such code, send me the address for contact, resp. where I
> can find the code -- I do not like to produce code without any sense, if
> others already did the same (coordination info required).

To get back to your original problem: the IDE code has changed quite
a bit since 1.3.x, perhaps you could try a bootfloppy from the latest
snapshot and check if it works. See

ftp://ftp.nl.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snap-19990131/NetBSD-1.3I/i386

If this works for you, you might want to compile a new kernel (or get
someone to do it for you) with the new IDE code (by Manuel Bouyer), which
you can find in a patch for 1.3.3 in:

ftp://ftp.nl.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/ide-1.3.3

I've seen failure to detect an IDE controller only once before, though.
It's strange that this is happening to your system.

- Frank