Subject: pcmcia 3c589B ok during install, fails therafter
To: <>
From: John P. Refling <nbsdpi@earth.lbl.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/04/1999 02:29:51
I have finally been able to install NetBSD on an old notebook
and the installation went flawlessly over the ethernet [ though
had some difficulty finding out the string to use for coax
media type --- it would be great to list all of them in the
setup prompt, especially since a new user is unlikely to have
another NetBSD system running to read the man pages or look at
the driver source code for those sting values ].

Anyhow, when I reboot the system from the hard drive, the network
fails.  I have traced this down to this difference:  when the
install disk sets up the interface, the message "pcmcia: card irq 9"
is printed, and when booted from the hard disk, the message is
"pcmcia: card irq 5".

Well, that must be why my network is dead.  So, why does the
install kernel get the irq right, while the final kernel does
not.

I assume I solve this problem by recompiling the kernel with some
particular options.?

Also, is there some way to just turn off the irq 5 assignment after
the system is running, and then inform the system to use irq 9, then
do another ifconfig?

Thanks.