Subject: Nearly flawless on my ThinkPad...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/1999 00:10:07
Well, *nearly* flawless.  Two remaining issues:

1.  No COM port probing.  Booted to Win '98, I see that the COM port is
IRQ 4, address 0x3F8 - right where it should be.  Under NetBSD (1.3.3), I
don't see it - but I do sometimes assign irq4 to PCMCIA cards.

2.  The machine hangs utterly if I remove my ethernet card.  It's fine
if it never had one, but if it's seen the card, there seems to be no way
out.

Sometimes the card recognition is a bit unreliable, but I don't care much,
it's pretty good.  (About as good as, say, Windows.)

Overall a pretty decent laptop, although it wouldn't bug me at all if the
documentation were more complete.  The docs won't identify any of the parts,
and they don't really explain *why* 560k of memory is mysteriously unavailable
to the operating system.

Overall, a very positive experience; despite the above noted problems, NetBSD
is doing better on basic functionality than Windows - Windows can't shut down
properly.

-s