Subject: Linux Star Office 4.0 with Service Pack 3
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/1999 15:39:43
--------------380E7200E4F787FF93AD90F6

Greetings:

I recently obtained a Linux Caldera CD with Linux Star Office 4.0 with
Service Pack 3.  Unfortunately, I could not run the "setup" program to
install the software under NetBSD, since it could crash with a sigsegv.
So instead I installed it onto a Linux machine in my office, onto the
"/opt/staroffice" directory.  After running it sucessfully on the Linux
machine, I then created a cpio archive of that directory and transfered
it to my NetBSD 1.3I ix86 computer.  I then installed it onto my
"/opt/staroffice" directory on my NetBSD machine.

Unfortunately, when I run the "bin/soffice" script, the "bin/soffice.bin"
starts up, eating up lots of CPU & bringing up my load average past 3.0,
and then it freezes up perminately (> 8 hours), before any X-windows are
displayed.  I am running it on NetBSD 1.3I ix86 with more than 100 MB of
free drive space, 64 MB of ram, and on a Pentium 233 MMX processer.

My "/emul/linux" directory is populated with all of the shared libraries
from the same Linux machine I ran Star Office under.  I have no problems
running any of the versions of Linux Netscape Communicator, Linux Adobe
Acrobat, Linux Applixware (Office 99), Linux WordPerfect 8, and tons of
other Linux software on my NetBSD machine.  So the problem does not seem
to be with my Linux emulation.

Going through the old NetBSD mailing list archives, I tried to run
Star Office with "/proc" mounted and unmounted, with no effect.  I also
wrote another script for "soffice" which I hope might help, but it didn't.
Star Office still won't run.

If anyone managed to get Star Office 4.0 to run under NetBSD I would
love to get the details, or if anyone has any advice on what I might be
able to do to get Star Office to run under NetBSD, I would be most
grateful to receive it.  Thank you in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.

PS. I have also appended my alternative "soffice" script, which is
	similar in format to the other scripts I use for Applixware
	and Netscape.  I find that using this type of wrapper speeds
	up Linux applications, mostly by specifing actual paths for
	the LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable.

#!/bin/csh

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/staroffice/lib:/opt/java/jdk115/lib \
	:/opt/java/jdk115/lib/i386/green_threads \
	:/emul/linux/lib:/emul/linux/usr/X11R6/lib \
	:/emul/linux/usr/openwin/lib \
	:/emul/linux/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnulibc2/lib \
	:/emul/linux/usr/ix86-linuxaout/lib:/emul/linux/usr/i486-sysv4/lib \
	:/emul/linux/usr/local/lib
setenv LIBRARY_PATH ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
setenv PATH ${PATH}:/opt/staroffice/bin:/opt/java/jdk115/bin
setenv XPPATH /opt/staroffice/xp3
setenv SAL_FONTPATH /opt/staroffice/fonts/type1:/opt/staroffice/fonts/75dpi
setenv JAVA_HOME /opt/java/jdk115
setenv THREADS_TYPE green_threads

exec /opt/staroffice/bin/soffice.bin $*  >& /dev/console
--------------380E7200E4F787FF93AD90F6

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380