Subject: Re: X server crash/recovery
To: Dave Sainty <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/26/1999 19:21:59
On Jan 27,  8:11am, Dave Sainty wrote:
>Space Case writes:
>> I have in my system a S3/Virge card.  About once a month, something bites
>> the X server, causing it to coredump and leaves the console unreadable.
>> (Unless I log in from another system and restart the server, but things
>> don't come up quite right, then.)
>>
>> Is there any way of resetting the graphics, short of rebooting the system?
>
>Have you tried re-running the X server remotely?  It's probably a bug
>if it doesn't reinitialise the video correctly.  (Either/or
>X/pcvt/wscons/pccons...)

Um, yeah, I thought I said that...  It'll bring up the X server OK, but
KDE's settings are slightly hosed (no terminals autoload).  When I shut
it down (KDE logout) I still don't get the console (PCVT) back -- it goes
back to a messed-up screen.

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its
fascination.  When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be
popular.
		-- Oscar Wilde