Subject: Re: Problems booting NetBSD
To: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/1999 12:59:48
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 CaptnZilog@aol.com wrote:

: I'm trying to get NetBSD 1.3.2 to boot up off of my CD, on a P200 system with
: an Adaptec 1542CP SCSI controller, 1.7Gb SCSI drive (micropolis 2217) and a
: SCSI CD-ROM...   I can format the drive, and verify it, using the adaptec BIOS
: utility (Ctrl-A on bootup), and it all works fine if I format it in DOS, so I
: know that the hardware works...

I know you probably hate this kind of question, but what are the IRQ/DRQ
settings of the card, and is that IRQ or DRQ in use by another card as well?
Even if you don't think you're sharing IRQ's, can you yank out (or disable
in BIOS, if on-board) ALL of the following and try again:

- Sound card (tends to use IRQs 2/9, 3, 5, and/or 7; DRQs 0, 1, 3)
- Network card (tends to use IRQs 2/9, 3, 5, and/or 10)
- Both IDE controllers (they use IRQs 14 and 15)
- *ANYTHING* removeable that is `Plug-n-Play'

I ask because a shared or missed interrupt can cause just this behavior,
even though the detected I/O address is correct.  DOS will use programmed
I/O instead of interrupts, so this behavior won't show up under DOS.