Subject: Problems booting NetBSD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/1999 11:54:17
I'm trying to get NetBSD 1.3.2 to boot up off of my CD, on a P200 system with
an Adaptec 1542CP SCSI controller, 1.7Gb SCSI drive (micropolis 2217) and a
SCSI CD-ROM...   I can format the drive, and verify it, using the adaptec BIOS
utility (Ctrl-A on bootup), and it all works fine if I format it in DOS, so I
know that the hardware works...

I created the boot floppy, it boots up, finds "aha0" at the correct addresses,
finds "scsibus0 at aha0", and finds "cd0 at scsibus0" (ID=6) and "sd0 at
scsibus0" (ID=0), listing the correct drive ID's as it finds them...

then, it comes up with the install script...  when I try to partition the
drive I get "sd0:  Timeout"...  followed (after a minute) w/ "sd0: Timeout
AGAIN"... then it hangs...

I tried exiting the install script next time and acessing sd0 again, same
thing... I also tried (getting tired of rebooting here) mounting "cd0a" and
again got a timeout error.  Yet I know all the hardware works.  Noticing that
the install notes mentions the 1540A, B, C, and CF, but not the CP (although
it recognizes it on bootup ok), I tried a 1542B with  the same results.  I
also tried a different hard drive (1Gb seagate) just to see if that made a
difference...  still NG.

Suggestions?  My next bet is to try downloading the 1.3.3 boot fs to try that
kernel...  its definitely seems like a software problem and not hardware.

As always, even what seems like a simple & straightforward install brings
forth the laws of Murphy.

Pete Hufnagel
CaptnZilog@aol.com