Subject: Yamaha 724 soundcard support?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/11/1999 15:01:39
Finally tiring of using Windows at work (albeit only to connect via VNC
to a NetBSD box!), I decided to load NetBSD-current (as of 7 Jan 1999)
on my PC at work, a Dell "Dimension V350".  Everything is great (at least
now that the ex driver is there!), except one minor annoyance:  the
soundcard isn't configured.  Here's how it probes:

Yamaha 724 Audio (audio multimedia, revision 0x04) at pci0 dev 12 function 0 not configured

Windoze claims its a "Yamaha DS-XG"; it seems to be on the motherboard
directly.  The manual, such as it is, claims its a "PCI/ISA YAMAHA YMF724
DS-1 AC97-compliant advanced audio controller with 3D positioning and
DirectSound acceleration [providing] audio functions compatible with a Sound
Blaster Pro expansion card."  Nothing in the BIOS seems at all helpful.

Is anyone at all familiar with this board/chip?  Is there any way to entice it
into, say, soundblaster compatibility? Am I doomed to use my CD player at
work, instead of mpeg123?   Such important questions!

Seriously, though, I'd appreciate any info, even "sorry, no go".

Thanks!

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz