Subject: Re: IRQ sharing question
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/1999 14:07:09
> I was under the impression that the ISA bus always used edge triggered
> interrupts, and that they were not sharable.

This is not true for all our architectures. The atari uses different
IRQ's on the ISA bus (I always forget which ones) and the amiga has
a completely different logic vs. sharing of ISA IRQ's (the details
of which I also always forget).

So as a kernel device driver writer: assume nothing about interrupt sharing.
As someone configuring your kernel for an i386: assume no IRQ on the ISA bus
can be shared unless explicitly told so by a reliable hardware manual.

Martin