Subject: Re: Re: Completely diskless operation?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1999 21:50:45
> with Win 3.1 ;) I've heard that you're supposed to be able to use dosboot
> with an XMS manager loaded, but it always locks up my machine.

This works great on any machine I ever tested it without APM support in
the kernel. As soon as APM is included and the kernel makes it's first
call to the apm bios trampoline code, it locks solid for me on any machine
with an APM bios I've tested it on.

So: use himem and dosboot only with kernels without APM, avoid himem
otherwise (easy to do with Windows 95/98: press F8 while boot, choose
to confirm every drive and reject everything).

Martin