Subject: Re: BIOS and CD-ROM problems
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/1999 16:26:44
drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de writes:

> perry@piermont.com said:
> PS/2s store a checksum at 0x32 which would explain that writing
> a century there rendered the whole configuration invalid if Michael's
> PS/1 uses the same layout.

Is there any way we could *detect* this sort of PS/2 descended BIOS?
If not...

> I'd propose to save the information whether the century byte
> is 19 or 20 in inittodr() and change resettodr() to skip the
> update if it wasn't. This still leaves a chance of 2/256 that
> a checksum byte is stepped on, but is still a good improvement
> for its price.

...if you can't find a way to detect the PS/2 style foolishness, then
I'd say yes, this is probably a reasonable way to handle things.

BTW, it is only ONE unlucky potential setting: if someone accidently
has a "19" in their checksum, it could turn into a "20" after the new
year -- but a 20 will most likely not turn into a 19 or a 21.

Perry