Subject: Re: usbd adds new ums* & wsmouse* entries everytime same mouse reconnected
To: None <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1998 16:27:15
> When the mouse is disconnected, usbd properly notices this and returns:
>
> 	usb0: device addr 2 on hub addr 1, port 1 disconnected
>
> Then when the mouse is reconnected, usbd returns:
>
> 	ums* at uhub0 port 1 configuration 0 interface 0
> 	ums*: ELECOM ELECOM USB mouse (rev 1.00/4.51), addr 2, iclass 3/1
> 	wsmouse* at ums*
>
>     -where: * = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...  (first time reconnect, second, etc.)
>
> It would appear that usbd is not freeing up ums (& wsmouse) slots during
> a disconnect, like it is suppose to, right?
Don't worry, this is the expected behaviour.  When I wrote the USB drivers
NetBSD didn't have proper support for disconnecting devices, so this
is the result.  Nowadays NetBSD can handle disconnection, but I've not yet
rewritten that part of the USB code.

> PS. Too bad XFree86 3.3 doesn't have a pointer protocol for my mini Elecom
> 	usb mouse.  :-(
If you recompile XFree86 3.3.3 with NetBSD1.3I you'll get wsmouse support.
All you need to compile is the server you need.

    -- Lennart